Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Monday 26 January 2015

About Alex Movie Review

About Alex Movie Review

After a friends attempted suicide, seven college friends reunite for a weekend together. I really love indie movies and this one has A LOT of already know actors. Jason Ritter (Parenthood), Max Greenfield (New Girl), Aubrey Plaza (Parks & Recreation), Jane Levy (Suburgatory), Maggie Grace (Californiation) and Max Minghella (Mindy Project). 

There are other movies these days that are all in this "college reunion" genre. I recently watched Beside Still Waters, which is very much like this movie. All these movies involve the same things; booze, sex, drugs, music, a relationship starting and a relationship ending. Secrets get revealed, feelings get hurt and revelations are made. 

My favorite part of this movie (and others like it) is how I feel while watching it. In this fast paced world it's so hard to slow down and really take a look at yourself without worrying about everything going on around you. All the characters, who are so busy and broken in their lives, come together to this remote place and learn that when they really take the time to connect with one another, they are able to find the missing pieces of themselves that they may not have even realized were missing. In a world so reliant on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected with people, it's hard to realize that they are actually disconnecting us from each other. 

The scene in which they are choosing which records to listen to and making fun of others is my favorite scene in the movie. Music plays such an important role in my life and I'm sure the lives of many others. Hearing a song can bring you back to a specific time and put you back in that memory, if only in your mind. Personally, I have many trigger songs. "As Long As You Love Me" by the Backstreet Boys brings me back to visiting family in Montreal, "S Club Party" by S Club 7 puts me back in my sixteen year old shoes again on a family road trip to Victoria and anything by Frank Sinatra brings me back to randomly having the same cab driver in Florida several days in a row. When those songs play, it's like I'm able to go back in time. I can recall where I was, what I was doing, what the weather was like, what I was wearing, everything. Music is such an effective way of bringing back memories forever captured in songs and this scene was a perfect example of that.

This movie has many morals written into it but the main message it drives home is that sometimes you really just need to disconnect with the world to be able to reconnect with each other and yourself.

A-

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for more**

No comments:

Post a Comment