Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Quantico: Episode 1- "Run" Review

Quantico: Episode 1- "Run"

Trailer Review:
For me, the trailer solidified that I needed to watch the pilot episode. It has a younger cast (much like Rookie Blue) and is very much a who-done-it story line (which is my favorite). 



Episode 1: "Run" Review
+ Just like what I saw in the trailer, they are young FBI recruits (very much around my age) and the cast size is decent meaning that there's a lot of story line to be uncovered throughout the series.
+ Again, like I said about the trailer, I am VERY much into who-done-it type stories. Not necessary the CSI or NCIS one episode who-killed-who-and-how type but the series (or season) long stories where all the cast members could be suspects.
+ I'm pretty sure that the arch will be season long. I'm not a fan of individualized episodes with 5 minutes towards the overall story. Although there are some shows that are able to successfully mix episodic story lines with the overall season arch (like iZombie), there are more that are unsuccessful resulting in me deleting them from my PVR (The Blacklist).
+ I've never heard of the lead actress Priyanka Chopra but I thought she was fantastic. She was charismatic without coming across as cocky and the perfect underdog for the viewer to root for.


- This pilot episode had so much going on that I felt like I watched an entire season in one sitting. They need to SLOW the hell down so we can really savor the good story lines. By the time it took to soak in what big twist just happened, they were already onto the next big twist. It didn't give the viewer any time to digest what they were seeing and react to it. There were a few scenes that had they taken even just a little time to develop, would have been shocking big series moments. But it was rushed which ruined a little of the story telling magic.
- The pilot episode keeps going back and fourth in time from where Alex started in the academy and where she is now after the bomb exploded. This is one of my LEAST favorite ways of telling a story. I really think they should have just started at the beginning and worked their way through to the bomb going off at the end of season 1. Not only would it make more sense chronologically but it would also give the viewer more time to get to know the characters BEFORE the bomb. 
- I don't really see how they could keep the story lines moving past one season. Once the person is discovered, what's left? (Very much like how I feel about the upcoming Pretty Little Liars season).

Overall, I really wanted to enjoy it more than I did. The pilot episode is where they lay all their cards on the table and try their damnest to draw in the viewers but in my opinion they just tried too hard. In one episode they crammed a seasons worth of story line down the viewers throat and by the end I had a severe case of indigestion. I'm hoping that the series will SLOW DOWN, concentrate more on the story line, highlight the big moments and give the viewer time to sit back and really enjoy the series.


6.5/10

**Follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife for more fall pilot reviews**

No comments:

Post a Comment