Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Galavant: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review



Galavant: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review

Going into this pilot episode I was expecting to like this series. I love musicals and I thought the concept of this looked interesting. After watching it however, I changed my opinion. I'm a fan of comedies but what I'm no longer a fan of is spoofs (I have Scary Movie 3-5 to thank for that), which is essentially what this is. It's not as much of a comedy as it is like a spoof... of itself. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and I have a big problem with that. If they don't take themselves at least a little serious, how can I? I also don't like the fact that it started out by dropping us in what felt like the middle of a story. Usually stories start at the beginning but this show started in the middle and than flashed "One year later" and a few minutes later "Two months earlier" which drives me insane. With Alan Menken as the executive producer I feel like they banked more on their music and less on the script. The writing in the script just isn't as strong as the original songs.

I think it's funny that they are airing all eight season one episodes in a "Four Week Comedy Extravaganza" instead of airing one a week like regular shows. I have a feeling that the network knows this isn't going to be their dark horse. Musicals and spoofs are both very specific genres and having it be a musical spoof will exclude a lot of the population. So when the ratings don't come back strong and they decide not to renew it for a second season they will claim that it was only supposed to be a four week run instead of admitting failure (which seems to be the "it" thing to do these days). 

In the end, if you find yourself a fan of both musicals and spoofs than check this show out. If not, it's not worth your time.

C-

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment