Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Friday 13 March 2015

The Baby-Sitters Club Series Review

The Baby-Sitters Club (1990) Series Review

First of all let me just say how utterly THRILLED I was to find this on Netflix over the weekend. I've been waiting for many many years to be able to watch this series again and I couldn't have been more excited. I believe jumping up and down and squealing was involved.I used to borrow these episodes from the library back in the 90s and they were sleepover favorites.

Watching it again all these years later I've come to a few conclusions:

1) The filming quality is terrible. It makes the show look a lot older than it is.
2) Looking it up online I was quite surprised to find that it's actually a HBO show, which is why all of the episodes are 28-ish minutes in length. Apparently, even as a kid I enjoyed HBO better than regular networks.
3) If this series had come out on a wider kids platform like YTV it may have done a lot better. It only had 13 episodes but I firmly believe that if it had been made more available and on a network that aimed at tweens/teens, this really could have been a success. What girl didn't want to be part of the BSC? The book series was huge in the 90s and I'm sure this series could have been as well.
4) This has to be why I sucked in school. My brain is filled with useless theme songs, trivia and movie quotes to be able to hold any other information. What's the difference between a republican and a democrat? I have no idea. However I know every word of the theme song by heart as well as the names and job descriptions of all the girls in the BSC (even 25 years later). My Social Studies teachers would be so proud....

Overall, even with the sucky quality it was filmed in, my love for this series is unquestionable. It's a tragedy that this series was only 13 episodes because it had the potential to be a massive success back in the 90s. Thank you Netflix for bringing back the series I've waited a very long time to watch. It's comforting to know that my friends are always there.


B

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment