Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 24 May 2016

Game Time! Penguin Diner 2 Game Review

Penguin Diner 2: Penny's Antarctic Adventures

Last Updated: 2015

Company: BigWig

# of Levels: 40

Price: Free

Time Spent Playing: 2 Hours and 6 Minutes

Story Line: Help Penny run her diner and serve some very hungry penguins.

Review:
+ One of my main complaints in the first game (Penguin Diner) was the fact that the controls for picking up the shorter plates weren't good and I would have to tap on the item 6 to 7 times just to get it to understand to pick up the items. This game has almost completely fixed the problem mainly by making the food larger. I still have trouble with the hot dog plate sometimes but it's much improved from the first game.


+ Another complaint I had in the first game was the fact that there were very few items available to upgrade and by level 7 at the first diner, I had upgraded them all. This game was packed with upgrades including everything from tables, chefs, outfits and everything in between. It took me 35 levels to upgrade all my items to the max.

+ The original Penguin Diner featured either all male penguins (or gender neutral ones). This game clearly distinguishes between female and penguins by their clothes, hair, accessories and voices. This was an unexpected upgrade from the first game that I was very excited about.

+ Two of the awesome upgrade categories are "theme ideas" and "outfits" for Penny. This was a fantastic idea. At the end of every level you can receive a star and the stars will go toward these upgrades instead of the cash. There are five themes in total and when you buy and equip one, all of the penguins in the following levels will come dressed as that theme. Hilarious and awesome. You can switch up your theme and change Penny's outfit after every level.

- There are four different locations in this game but just like in the original, ALL the diners look the same. I wish they would switch up the configuring of the diners at each new location.

- If you click somewhere (by accident) Penny will walk all the way there instead of changing her path when you click on something that needs her attention. It just eats up precious time.

- Not all the "theme" parties that are available upgrades match her "outfits" which kind of drives me crazy. Penny doesn't have an outfit for the "Green" theme or the "Pirate" theme but instead she has to many other generic outfits. 

- I would still consider this game way to easy. Although in the beginning my actual score was closer to my target score then it was in the original game, by time I had the majority of my upgrades, I wasn't just doubling the target scores but sometimes I would TRIPLE the target score. 

- I would like to see the games be a little bit longer. The original Penguin Diner was 2 hours and 2 minutes and this sequel is 4 minutes longer at 2 hours and 6 minutes. I don't feel cheated (since this game was free) but I would typically prefer games lasting 3 hours to 3 and a half hours so I have enough time to really get into them but it's not long enough that it feels repetitive.

- I saved by biggest complaint about this game (and game series) for last. Just like I complained about with the original, this game is free to download but has annoying ads screaming across the top of each levels and after each level you have no choice but to watch a 15-30 second video game ad. You can get rid of these ads by paying but I refuse to pay for something that isn't the game itself or additional levels. What made it even WORSE this time was the type of ads that streamed across the level screen. I would assume that most adults playing a diner game would probably go with the popular Diner Dash while kids would be attracted to a game with cute penguins. So when an ad comes across the top of the level about "breast pumps" (see picture 5), I couldn't believe my eyes. I have no problem if the ads promote other games or google (which are the most common ones) but I couldn't believe what this ad was promoting for a game probably mostly played by kids. 

Overall:
I was quite impressed with the amount of great changes made to this sequel. Not only did they mostly fix the controls and added more upgrades (two of my complaints about the original) but they also added in some awesome features including distinguishing between the female and male penguins, and adding diner "theme" upgrades (which when bought with stars and equipped) have all the penguins supporting costumes featuring that theme. It was funny and such an enjoyable part of the game. This game still has a few issues with all the different locations still looking the same, not having "outfits" for Penny that relate to all the diner "themes", the fact that it's still pretty easy and the undeniable problem with the ads. If this looks like a game that you would be interested in, just skip the first game and download this sequel instead as it's a much more upgraded way to spent your time.


B+

Game Play Tips:
- If possible, play with the sound on. After the penguins are seated and are ready to order they will say "hello". For me this was much better then trying to watch all the tables with my eyes. I could visually watch for food to deliver and for new customers but I could rely on the penguins voices to know when I needed to take their order.
- Seat the "love birds" (boy and girl couples) at the tables with the flowers for extra tip money. 
- To temporarily turn off the ads (without paying) turn the "airplane" button on on your phone. You won't be able to get any text messages or calls during this time but you also won't have to pay with annoying ads constantly streaming and video ads at the end of EVERY level.

**Check back every Tuesday for another game review and feel free to tweet me @popculturedlife with any Time Management games (that I can get from the iTunes App Store) that you would like to see in a future review!**

1 comment: