Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Thursday 25 August 2016

Star- First Impressions & After Trailer Thoughts

I'm doing something different this year for the Fall TV Pilots 2016. Here I will do an individual series and include my First Impressions along with my After Trailer Thoughts and finally will conclude with the Premiere Review in the fall.




Star (FOX- Drama)

First Impressions (based on concept):
This series (which sounds a lot like a modern day Dreamgirls) features "the story of three young women, all with hopes of making it big and the choices they're faced with along the way". Lee Daniels (one of the creators of Empire) will write and co-exective produce this series which really just sounds like a spin-off of Empire. As much as I love Empire, I don't know if the network really has room for two musical series that will probably seem very similar. Viewers have already seen how FOX handles a musical series so I would really have liked this series to be on a different network such as FX or Starz (which recently did Flesh & Bone- a series about the cutthroat world of professional ballet).
How Excited Am I? (1- Lowest to 10- Highest): 5


After Trailer Thoughts:
Just by watching this trailer you can clearly see inspiration taken from Empire but the big difference between Empire and Star is that this series seems to be aimed at a younger audience with three young girls in the starring roles as opposed to known actors like Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson. There is Queen Latifah and Lenny Kravitz but I think their roles are going to be much smaller as opposed to leading roles. I think this series could do better on a network like CW or MTV where it's aimed at a younger audience who are probably the most likely to invest money on the music their hear on the show. Also having two similar shows on the same network doesn't always pay off as much as networks think it will. Does anyone remember the Once Upon A Time spin-off Once Upon A Time In Wonderland? That only lasted 13 episodes. Or Pretty Little Liars spin off Ravenswood? That lasted a total of 10 episodes and that was WITH cameo's from the original series.
How Excited Am I? (1- Lowest to 10- Highest): Remains a 5
How Long Will This Series Last? I give it a full season one.


Episode 1- Pilot Review
Check back in the fall!



**Follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife for all my Fall TV First Impressions & After Trailer Thoughts**

No comments:

Post a Comment