Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Wednesday 11 May 2016

First Impressions: Fall TV Pilots 2016- CBS Dramas


Fall TV Pilots 2016 (CBS- Dramas)

Which drama series will CBS pick up? I'll dissect which shows I'm looking forward too and which shows will be successful based on first impressions. 
For the full list of Fall TV Pilots 2016, check out EW's article.


MacGyver
I'm not the biggest fan of series remakes but since I don't have any attachment to the old series, I'm okay with this one. That being said, since I never watched the old series I really have no interest in watching this one. I think this "reimaging of the television series of the same name, following a 20 something MacGyver" will do pretty well with the younger viewers and at least for the first few episodes attract the older viewers as well. The trick will be pleasing fans of the old series while satisfying new fans.
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, this should be the big winner for CBS this TV season compared to their other pilot options.
Will It Be Successful? Yes, though it might cater a lot to the newer fans I'm sure the network is still banking that fans from the original series will tune in as well.
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series was picked up.

Training Day
This series will take place "15 years after the film left off" and pretty much be yet another LAPD cop drama. I never watched Training Day and aside from Rookie Blue, cop shows really aren't my thing however they do pretty well with viewers.
On a sidenote I just want to say how much I LOVE Bill Paxton. I met him a few years ago and he's the nicest guy ever and I think that he's a strong enough actor to really help this series take off.
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, they are going to bank on the popularity of the movie
Will It Be Successful? Yes
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series was picked up.

Bull
Although this series is "inspired by the early career of Dr. Phil McGraw during his days as head of one of the most prolific trial consulting firms of all time" it really is going to be just another lawyer show with the use of a psychologist. I don't think the fact that it's inspired by Dr. Phil's career will gain any more viewer than a regular law series. It's clearly not a series for me as I fell asleep just reading the concept.
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, I think the network believes that having the hook of being "inspired by Dr. Phil McGraw" will be enough to draw in the viewers.
Will It Be Successful? Possibly but I think it would be more successful if they hadn't even mentioned Dr. Phil because some of the viewers may be focused on more historical accuracy then good TV even though this series is only supposed to be "inspired by" his career. 
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series was picked up.


Pure Genius
It's interesting that CBS is going to pilot a series about "a controversial, outrageous young tech titan" because when I hear the words "controversial" or "outrageous" CBS is not the first network that comes to mind. Another medicine show would fall in the CBS category but it won't be as out of the box as it could be on another network. However, despite my dislike for medical focused programs, they typically do pretty well with viewers.
Will It Be Picked Up? Possibly as medical dramas do pretty well.
Will It Be Successful? 50/50 because medical dramas do pretty well but a series about a "controversial" and "outrageous" character might not be the right fit for this network.
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series was picked up with a name change from Bunker Hill to Pure Genius.

Doubt
Another lawyer series, oh good, that's just what this TV season needed. Unfortunately they got Katherine Heigl to play the lead role and she's not the most well liked actress out there. She's an actress that most people either love or they hate and to bank your series on the actress might lead to failure.
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, the network is going to bank on Katherine Heigl to bring in the viewers.

Will It Be Successful? 50/50 based on the fact that it's a lawyer series, which will already narrow down the viewers but then you add Katherine Heigl (who isn't exactly the best liked actress) and you find yourself narrowing down your viewers even farther.

Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series was picked up.


Four Stars
On the bright side, it's not a cop series or a lawyer series but it does involve "making decisions at the highest levels in the interest of national security". This series could really go either way, making it one of CBS's best new shows because it's not about cops or lawyers, or faltering because it's not about cops and lawyers.
Will It Be Picked Up? Possibly because the series is a little different compared to the other CBS pilots but fits in well with others already on their network.
Will It Be Successful? Hard to say as Madam Secretary is aired on CBS and gets enough viewers to stick around.
Was My Guess Correct? No, this series wasn't picked up.

Drew
Part of me really loves this "contemporary take on the character from the iconic Nancy Drew book series" who is now in her 30s and "a detective for the NYPD" but part of me doesn't. I never read the Nancy Drew books when I was younger but she's a strong female character that I've always admired. That said, TV really doesn't need ANOTHER cop drama. I think this series would have do better if it were on a different network (like CW or Freeform) and aimed at a younger audience who enjoys shows like Veronica Mars, Pretty Little Liars and iZombie.
Will It Be Picked Up? Possibly as similar types of series (Elementary) have aired on CBS.
Will It Be Successful? It's really going to depend on if they go the more NYPD route and the character of Nancy Drew takes a back seat to the episodic cop drama or if they really put the focus on the character instead of the NYPD side. I still maintain that on a different network, this series could really shine but I'm afraid that on CBS, it will just burn out.
Was My Guess Correct? No, this series wasn't picked up which is probably for the best.



Check back for more of my thoughts on the Fall TV Pilots for 2016 and follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife 

No comments:

Post a Comment