Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Friday 5 September 2014

Young & Hungry- Season 1 Review (Updated 3/19/2015)




Young & Hungry- Season One Review

I am such a fan of ABC Family shows (Melissa & Joey, Switched at Birth, Pretty Little Liars) so when I saw the trailer for this show I knew I it was a must watch. Thank goodness I did. 

Emily Osment shines in the role of Gabi, a young food blogger. She's bubbly, funny and slightly awkward but in the best way. I want her to be my best friend. Gabi is probably one of the most lovable TV characters since Jess in the early episodes of New Girl. Emily proves that she can hold her own instead of being a sidekick (Seriously, Lilly MADE Hannah Montana what it was. Don't even get me started!). One of the main things I love about both Gabi and her best friend/roommate Sophia is that they are relatable! They are real women in their twenties just trying to find love and pay their rent. They wear pajamas, they work for a living and they eat CAKE AND COOKIES! It may seem like a trivial thing to be overly excited about but I am so tired of shows that show young female characters eating salads, watching their weight and being a size 0. I am thrilled to see that these characters are healthy and happy women who enjoy eating a piece of cake. Finally someone on TV that I can relate to!(There's probably a zero percent chance of Emily Osment ever reading my blog, but just in case, let's hang out sometime! I'll bring the cookies.)

Half the supporting characters also come off as funny and clever (Josh & Sophia), while the other half are still funny but slightly too over the top for me (Yolanda & Elliot). I sure enjoyed seeing Jesse McCartney play Cooper. Even though I don't know him from much else other than his music, he fit in perfectly playing a geeky computer guy that Josh hires. Love the glasses!

I don't remember laughing this hard watching any other recent comedy. The jokes are clever, funny and original. My favorite still has to be when Gabi is waiting for the elevator and when the doors open the guy says "Going down?" and she replies with "Not without dinner and a movie first". I STILL laugh at this joke when I think about it. Thank you ABC Family for adding in some jokes that aren't exactly PG.

I'm really torn on the way the season finale ended. On one hand I'm glad that Cooper came back with a present for Gabi and I think they fit very well together. On the other hand I think I will always be rooting for Josh and Gabi to be together and seeing him standing on her fire escape just tore at my heart. I'm hoping that it will pay off to end the season on a cliffhanger so it gets renewed for season two. However, I will be crushed if it doesn't get renewed and didn't have a chance to properly wrap up with story. It's a double edged sword that works about half the time. Let's hope this is the 50% of the time it works. Come on ABC FAMILY, we're hungry for season 2!

Overall season grade: A-

Update September 29/2014:
I'm very happy to hear that ABC Family has officially picked up this series for a second season! 

Update March 19/2015:
Season 2 of Young & Hungry starts Wednesday March 25th!!

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment