Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Saturday 6 September 2014

Selfie: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review




Selfie: Episode 1- "Pilot"

Sometimes what you see is really what you get. The concept seemed horrible, the trailer was horrible so I'm not shocked that the pilot episode was horrible. The most incredible thing was that I made it through 15 minutes of this episode. Though not without rolling my eyes, throwing my arms in the air and yelling at my TV. One of my biggest pet peeves is when they make the main character so unlikable. I want to watch a show and see the main character as my potential best friend not as the mean girl in high school who picked on everybody. 

I have nothing against the actors themselves. In fact I loved John Cho in season one of Sleepy Hollow. That jail scene will forever haunt my dreams and is my favorite memory of that series. A lot of other articles I read about Selfie were so excited that John Cho is finally a main character. But who wants to be a main character in a show that's a train wreck?! I think he lowered himself and his talents for this show. He's so much better than this. The only thing I've ever seen Karen Gillan in is one episode of Doctor Who (which despite the fact that I wanted to be a fan, it just wasn't for me) and her acting was a much higher quality. So again, the show's problem is not the acting. It's the writing. You could be the best actor in the world and if the writing is crap, it will show. 

The other annoying thing in this episode is all of the slang like "Jelly" and "Totes". I for one have never used any of these terms. Ever. Anybody who thinks the word "jealous" is to long to speak, is probably someone I would never want to have a conversation with. If this is annoying to me in my mid-twenties, I'm not sure who the demographic is they are aiming at. 

I'm beyond shocked that ABC cancelled Trophy Wife (which despite it's title, it was a good show) for crap like this. I predict this series is going to pull a Bad Teacher and get cancelled before the full season airs.

Grade: Z- (Only because the alphabet doesn't go any lower).

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment