Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Empire Soundtrack Issues


I had bought the Empire: Original Season 1 Soundtrack and was super excited to do a CD Review for it because the TV show was fantastic and the music was just as good. When I received the CD, I played it right away and noticed something. My favorite songs from the show were missing. WTF?! 

The CD I bought has the following songs:
1) Good Enough
2) What Is Love
3) No Apologies
4) Keep It Movin
5) Walk Out On Me
6) Conqueror
7) Remember The Music
8) Shake Down
9) Power Of The Empire
10) Nothing To Lose
11) Whatever Makes You Happy

Where is Drip Drop? Where is You're So Beautiful? I was so confused. When I went back to Amazon.ca, it only listed this album but when I went on iTunes, I realized that there is a DELUXE version of this album which included all the songs above as well as:

1) Keep Your Money
2) Drip Drop
3) Can't Trust Em
4) I Wanna Love You
5) Money For Nothing
6) You're So Beautiful
7) New York Raining

So I figured it was no biggie and I would just buy the songs that I was missing. I previewed them all and noticed something else, Nothing To Lose isn't the version with both Terrence Howard and Jussie Smollett which was one of my favorites, this version is only of Jussie Smollett. Also, the version of You're So Beautiful on the deluxe album isn't the version from the party where Jussie Smollett changes the lyrics to "Makes a man love a man".

So now I am extremely ticked off because I really wanted those two specific versions of the songs and I can't find them anywhere. Well, it turns out that on iTunes (Canada) if you search "Empire" or "Empire Soundtrack" it will only bring you up the regular CD and the deluxe CD. However, if you search "Empire Cast" it will bring up all the songs (as singles) that were released during the run of Season 1. This is great, except for the fact that there are 27 singes that were either songs NOT included on the regular or deluxe versions or different versions of the songs that were NOT included on either version (including both the Nothing To Lose and You're So Beautiful versions that I wanted). 

This irritates me because it's a complete money grab. Not only did I buy the original soundtrack (which I NEVER usually do), but I still need to buy the deluxe songs AND I need to buy the other songs and versions that weren't included on either just so I have the full Season 1 soundtrack. So in order to have ALL the songs and ALL the versions from Season 1 it costs:
$9.99 (what I paid on Amazon.ca for the regular version)
$9.03 (for 7 songs on iTunes at $1.29 each)
$34.83 (for the other 27 singles that aren't included on either versions at $1.29 each)

$53.85 Canadian is what it costs to own all the songs and all the versions for Season 1. I don't think I have to tell anyone that THIS IS INSANE AND UNACCEPTABLE. If they wanted to do something to make more money, they should have just split all 47 songs into volumes. I don't mind putting out some money to own the soundtrack, but having it cost half my monthly car insurance payment is not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment