Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 30 June 2015

1st Annual TV Awards: Part 9

1st Annual TV Awards: Part 9 (Finale)

Best OMG Moment


Nominees:

- Sammy Shooting Frank  (Shameless)
This girl has been bat-shit crazy all season long but I couldn't believe it when she pointed the gun at Frank and then ACTUALLY fired it. 


- Sheldon bought Amy a ring (The Big Bang Theory)
The last ten seconds of this season they throw us a plot twist and instead of Penny and Leonard getting married we see that Shelton bought a right for Amy.


- Hannah's dad comes out (Girls)
I sensed that something was going to happen with Hannah's dad but I had predicted that he was having an affair.


- Payton saw Liv changed into full on zombie and kill and intruder (iZombie)
This fight scene was both impressive and emotional because now Liv's best friend/roommate knows the secret that she's been hiding.


Winner: Sheldon bought Amy a ring (The Big Bang Theory)


This is a very good example of how a few seconds of a show can change everything. The Big Bang Theory had no OMG moments throughout the season so I hadn't even considered them for Best OMG Moment. But that last ten seconds or so of the season and not only did they become a nominee but they won this category. It was so unexpected especially after telling Shelton and Penny reasons why they won't get married and letting Amy break up with him in the early part of the episode. I love it when I can't see a plot twist coming.

Best New Series


Nominees:

- Bloodline
This drama took me until the end of the first episode to become hooked when they gave a twist I never saw coming. The story line, the cast and the location (damn Florida makes me so jealous!) all made for the perfect season one. 


- Empire
This series took me by surprise because I never anticipated just how hooked I would get by a show on a regular network. Typically, I reserve my love for cable network style shows because they are able to push the limits compared to the watered down version of regular networks. With this series however, I didn't get a watered down version, I got a fantastic season one that I wouldn't change.


- iZombie
There has been a hole in my heart ever since Veronica Mars and FINALLY this show fills it. I love the fact that Liv is an everyday zombie who eats brains to help solve crimes. 



- Legends
This action drama typically wouldn't have been something that I would have been drawn to but between the amazing Sean Bean, the perfect supporting cast and the strong story lines, this series had me from hello. 


- Togetherness
This dramady took a concept that was stale (a married couple having trouble) and make it fresh again. Though a couple episode were a little more one character focused, the season as a whole was great and always something I looked forward to watching every week.


Winner: Empire


The choice in this category really came down to two shows; Empire (my choice for winner of Best Drama- Regular Networks and Bloodline (my choice for winner of Best Drama- Cable Networks). In the end I had to pick Empire as the winner for Best New Series because the regular networks are a lot stickier with what they can and can't show on television whereas Netflix is much able to do whatever they want. So it's no surprise that Netflix caught and kept my attention whereas it's a lot harder to do that with a drama that is on a regular network. Empire had a fantastic first season with so much juicy drama, original songs and one fantastic cast that I found myself watching some of the episodes TWICE!

Most Upset Cancellation


Nominees:

- Cristela
I was really hoping that the network would keep this series on the air for season two after extending season one to a full season order but they didn't. I think this was another one that was judged before people actually watched it. I loved the comedy, I loved the cast and I'm very happy they made the decision to have an ending for the last episode of season one instead of leaving on a cliffhanger to try and sway the renewal decision.
- Ground Floor
I was very happy that this TBS show was airing in Canada on the Comedy network because it was pretty funny and I hate being left out of shows just because I live across a border. We really enjoyed season one and enjoyed what little we saw of season two (because they aired the second season much later here than it the US) and I was annoyed when it got cancelled. It will be missed.



- Red Band Society
I saw this cancellation coming from a mile away but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt. I hate when people don't give shows a far shot before making a judgement call on them. I do firmly believe that had this series been on a more "teen" friendly network such as the CW or MTV that they would have been able to get enough viewers to have continued on for season two.


Winner: Cristela


Unfortunately every year a regular network cancels a show that I really believe has potential. Last year it was Trophy Wife and this year, it's Cristela. The network clearly had no faith in this series by placing in on a Friday night and hardly putting any promotion toward it. I do believe that with a different time slot, it could have stuck around longer.

**Agree with my choices? Disagree? Tweet me @popculturedlife and let me know. Thanks for checking out the winners for the 1st Annual TV Awards!**


COMPLETE LIST OF WINNERS:

Shameless
Best Actress in a Dramady (Emmy Rossum, Fiona Gallagher)
Best Actor in a Dramady (Cameron Monaghan, Ian Gallagher)
Best Dramady Series on a Non-Regular Network
Most Improved Character (Noel Fisher, Mickey Milkovich)

Empire
Best Actress in Drama (Taraji P. Henson, Cookie Lyon)
Best Actor in Drama (Terrence Howard, Lucious Lyon)
Best Drama Series on a Regular Network
- Best New Series

Game of Thrones
Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont, Game of Thrones)
Best SciFi/Fantasy Series on a Non-Regular Network
- Best Villain (Iwan Rheon, Ramsay Snow)

The Goldbergs
Best Actor In Comedy (Sean Giambrone, Adam Goldberg)
Best Comedy Series on a Regular Network

Mom
Best Actress In Comedy (Allison Janney, Mom)
Most Improved Season

The Big Bang Theory
- Best OMG Moment

Bloodlines
Best Drama Series on a Non-Regular Network

Cristela
- Most Upset Cancellation

House Of Lies
- Best New Character (Mary McCormack, Denna Altshuler)


Orphan Black
Tatiana Maslany (Helena/Cosima/Sarah/Alison/Rachel, Orphan Black)

Parks & Recreation
Most Disappointing Season

Pretty Little Liars
- Fave TV Couple (Ashley Benson & Tyler Blackburn, Hannah & Caleb)


Vikings
- Character Most Sad To See Go (George Blagden, Athelstan)


Young & Hungry
Best Comedy Series on a Non-Regular Network

No comments:

Post a Comment