Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Sunday 15 May 2016

First Impressions: Fall TV Pilots 2016- FOX Comedies


Fall TV Pilots 2016 (FOX- Comedies)

Which comedy series will FOX pick up? I'll dissect which shows I'm looking forward too and which shows will be successful based on first impressions. 
For the full list of Fall TV Pilots 2016, check out EW's article.


Chad: An American Boy
This series follows a "14 year-old boy in the throes of adolescence who is tasked with being the man of the house, which leaves him with all the responsibility of being an adult without any of the perks". I really hope this is an animated series because the "14 year-old boy" is played by Nasim Pedrad, who is a 35 year-old female. I know FOX is known for their animated series but this sounds more like a concept for a different network (like Disney Channel or Nickelodeon) and a younger viewer.

Will This Series Be Picked Up? Probably as FOX puts more stock in animated comedy series than other networks.
Will It Be Successful? Doubtful as it sounds more depressing than comedic.



Charity Case
Courteney Cox is back on TV in this series that features Cox "who inherits her late billionaire husband's charity in which she quickly finds that changing the world is far less glamorous than she had imagined." As much as I've loved both of Cox's former comedy series (Friends and Cougar Town), this one just doesn't sound as good as both of them did. I think I would rather her inherit a billion dollars rather than a charity.
Will This Series Be Picked Up? Possibly as lots of viewers would know Courteney Cox from Friends.
Will It Be Successful? I don't know as it just doesn't sound as interesting as it could. 


The Enforcers
This "female buddy comedy" about two "wildly different single mothers with dreams of being police officers find themselves partnered as inspectors in the Code Enforcement Department" reminds me of a mix of Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Parks & Recreation. For me, this series is really going to depend on the writing and just how funny it is.
Will This Series Be Picked Up? Doubtful
Will This Series Be Successful? 50/50
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series didn't get picked up.


Making History
In this series featuring Leighton Meester (Gossip Girl) "three friends try to balance the adventures of time travel with the mundane concerns of their present lives". This series sounds a lot more like something you would find on the CW or Freeform but it doesn't say FOX network to me. Although I'm a fan of Meester's, I'm just not sold on this concept.
Will This Series Be Picked Up? 50/50
Will It Be Successful? I don't think it will be successful on FOX but it could be on a different network.
Was My Guess Correct? 50/50 as this series was picked up.

The Mick
"A hard-living, foul-mouthed woman moves to affluent Greenwich, Connecticut, to raise the spoiled kids of her wealthy sister who has fled the country to avoid a federal indictment". I have a hard time believing that a character on the FOX network will really be that "hard-living" and "foul-mouthed". I think this series would do a lot better on a different network like HBO, FX or Showtime where they are able to produce series's with a lot more characters like this one.
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, this series has been picked up.
Will It Be Successful? I doubt it as this is the wrong network for a character like this.

Son of Zorn
This series which features "an animated Barbarian father find that reconnecting with his live-action son and ex-wife while suffering a mundane office job and the banality of surburan life is harder than waging actual war in his distance, animated world" intrigues me because it will mix the live action ex-wife and son with an animated father. I honestly think FOX of any network could pull off this seemingly odd concept because they've had so much success with their animation series. The question is, will viewers stick around and watch this series or will it just be an initially high rated gimmick?
Will It Be Picked Up? Yes, this series will be picked up.
Will It Be Successful? 50/50 as it's really going to depend on how well it's written, how funny it actually is and how well the animation and live animation are mixed.


Winning Ugly
First of all, I hate this title and I'm really not sure how it connects with the concept of being an "inter-racial family comedy following Jay "Havoc" Hammond, an African American ex-NFL lineman who recently moved in with his white wife and her two oddball sons, as he struggles to win the most challenging game of his life: fatherhood." I don't understand who they are calling ugly in the title? Fatherhood? Why is fatherhood ugly? They should have titled the series Havoc being that it's his nickname and it could also relate to fatherhood. Regardless of how funny this series may be, the title alone will fail to bring in enough viewers to make this a winning comedy series.
UPDATE: I actually find it hilarious that although FOX hasn't made a decision on this series, they've changed the title from Winning Ugly to Havoc. Sometimes I'm a genius. 
Will It Be Picked Up? I don't think so.
Will It Be Successful? Possibly but only with a title change (see update).


Untitled Laura Steinel Comedy (AKA: HR)
I think that this "workplace comedy" with an "incompetent human resources department" and an "eccentric CEO" who dreams of bringing the New Jersey "plastic plant into the future" sounds an awful lot like The Office just with plastics instead of paper. I do like Judy Greer and Patton Oswalt but from this concept I highly doubt that I will be the only person to compare it to The Office.
Will It Be Picked Up? I don't think so
Will It Be Successful? I don't think so
Was My Guess Correct? Yes, this series didn't get picked up.




Check back for more of my thoughts on the Fall TV Pilots for 2016 and follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife 

No comments:

Post a Comment