Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Friday 27 May 2016

Imaginary Mary- First Impressions & After Trailer Thoughts

I'm doing something different this year for the Fall TV Pilots 2016. Here I will do an individual series and include my First Impressions along with my After Trailer Thoughts and finally will conclude with the Premiere Review in the fall.

Imaginary Mary (ABC- Comedy)

First Impressions (based on concept):
I'm a fan of Adam Goldberg (and his series The Goldbergs), I'm also a big fan of Jenna Elfman and I was a fan of the series concept until the second sentence. "Slightly unhinged imaginary friend she created as a child suddenly reappears in her life to help her navigate the transition from single girl to a woman ready for a family". This is where I rolled my eyes and went "what?". I really don't see how an imaginary friend can take a single girl and make her ready for a family. Wouldn't seeing a psychologist be a better option? Again, it's really going to depend on how the imaginary character is done but at first impressions, this just seems like it could come off too silly.
How Excited Am I? 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest): 4


After Trailer Thoughts:
Well if anyone can pull off crazy and talk to an imaginary friend, it's Jenna Elfman. Watching the trailer definitely put my mind at ease about the imaginary character being to silly because I think she's pretty funny ("He's on to us! Kick him in the nuts and run"). With ABC giving this series a mid-season start, it slightly worries me that they don't have enough faith in this series to keep it around. I fell in love with Growing Up Fisher two TV seasons ago (ironically co-starring Jenna Elfman) and it was cancelled after I fell in love with it. Compared to several other comedies that ABC picked up, this one might actually be decent!
How Excited Am I? 1 (lowest) - 10 (highest): Jumps up to a 7
How Long Will It Last? Based on the trailer, I'll say 2 seasons. Assuming ABC doesn't make me fall in love with it, just to cancel it before it's time.


Episode 1- Pilot Review
Check back in the fall!


**Follow me on Twitter @popculturedlife for all my Fall TV First Impressions & After Trailer Thoughts**

No comments:

Post a Comment