Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 30 September 2014

How to Get Away with Murder: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review



How to Get Away with Murder: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review

There are very few legal shows that I enjoy watching (Rising the Bar, Franklin and Bash) so I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this series.

The thing I loved the most was seeing Liza Weil again. I have been a fan since Gilmore Girls and it was great to see her playing a character who is more put together and grown up. 

One of the main problems that I have with this show is the fact that I don't like the main character Professor Annalise Keating (Viola Davis). She comes across as a rude bully who uses whatever tactics she can (even if they are illegal) to get what she wants. She can get others to do her bidding by playing off whatever emotions they require. If someone reacts most effectively to threats, than she will threaten them. If someone would react sympathetically to tears than she will cry. I don't like her character nor her characters tactics which made it very hard to watch this pilot episode.

The other problem that I have is the flashing back and forth of scenes. The opening scenes starts off three months earlier and it keeps going between back then and now, making it sometimes hard to follow, but mostly just annoying. 

I think I would have continued with the show had it been based more on the students rather than the professor and if I didn't dislike the main character so much. A lot of the law jargon goes over my head and tends to disinterest me. Even though this show isn't for me it is (very much like Madam Secretary) well written and features quite a few interesting characters. However unlike Madam Secretary, I'm sure this series will appeal to a wider audience. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough to hook me and it becomes really hard to watch a series when I dislike the main character so much. 

Grade: C+

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment