Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Monday 29 September 2014

Madam Secretary: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review



Madam Secretary: Episode 1- "Pilot"

After watching the trailer I was pretty sure that this series wouldn't be for me. I can't think of one politics based show that I have ever watched so it doesn't surprise me that I didn't fall hard for this one.

That's not to say however that it isn't a good show. It's very smart, well written and I thought the characters were very well rounded. Tea Leoni is perfect for the main role because she comes across as both compassionate and strong all at the same time. I also enjoyed Zeljko Ivanek's performance as Russell Jackson. This guy is fantastic and seems to pop up all over the place (including his one episode appearance on Legends). Also the relationship between Elizabeth (Leoni) and her husband Henry (Tim Daly) came across very genuine. They had a lot of scenes where you can clearly see why they are married and how much they love each other. The only characters I wasn't completely convinced of were Elizabeth and Henry's children, Alison (Katherine Herzer) and Jason (Evan Roe) only because not many teenager know so much about politics that they can get into lively discussions with their parents about the worldly events going on in the news. Their wisdom seemed far beyond their years which just felt odd.

I don't think that I am the main target demographic for this television show. I'm a Canadian in my mid-twenties and I know very little about American politics. I'm going to assume that the people who will continue to watch it will be women 35 and up. There's not much to hook in the younger viewers, unless they really know their politics and not much to hook in most male viewers since it's really more of a drama than an action show. Even though the production value of this show is there, as well as the script and the characters, there just wasn't enough to hook me.

Grade: C

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment