Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 9 September 2014

Legends: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review



Legends: Episode 1- "Pilot" Review

**Major SPOILER ALERTS for both episode 1 of Legends and season 1 of Game of Thrones**

Before the series even began, TNT network launched a fantastic promotional campaign which centered around the hashtag #DontKillSeanBean. Fans of Sean Bean's know that his previous TV and movie characters are usually killed off. So much so that it has become a running joke. They had promotional posters and t-shirts with the hashtag on them that even Sean Bean himself wore to promote the series. I'm going to assume that since he's the main character in this series they are not going to kill him off, however, I had that same thought before he was beheaded on Game of Thrones.

The series is based on the book Legends: A Novel of Dissimulation by Robert Littell and opens with Sean Bean's character (Martin) in what looks like an army camp. Later in the episode we find out that he's an undercover FBI agent who changes himself into a different person for his undercover work. The first thing that drew me in was Sean Bean himself. Having only seen him in Game of Thrones I figured that I would see him in this show and constantly be thinking of Game of Thrones. I find this happens sometimes with actors/actresses when their newer character isn't as strong or as memorable as their previous characters. This was evident when I recently watched Heatstroke with Maisie Williams. Even though her character in the movie had an American accent, I was just reminded of how awesome Arya Stark is in Game of Thrones and how I would much rather be watching that instead. Sean gives an extremely convincing performance in this show and not once did I think of Ned Stark. 

I was thrilled (and I mean squealing with excitement thrilled) when I saw some familiar faces in the supporting cast. Ali Larter who's best known for her role in Heroes plays Crystal McGuire, a fellow operative who has a history with Martin. Another is Tina Majorino who plays Maggie Harris, the new girl on the task force. As a huge Veronica Mars fan, I am always excited to see any projects that Tina is involved with. She's such a talented actress who is versatile in her many roles. She's appeared in everything from Andre (a childhood favorite) to True Blood and she's a great addition to this series.

The only thing that I didn't really care for in the pilot episode was the massive twist. Martin is approached several times by a stranger who tells him not to trust anybody and that his identity doesn't really exist. Sometimes I think that twists just make shows more complicated and don't necessarily add in the suspense or drama that the writers think it will. Sometimes, simple is best. Since this show is based on a book I'm hoping that in future episodes the twist will feel more like it belongs in the story line and is less forced.

Overall, the pilot episode was stronger than I thought it would be. I don't think it's a show that needed to be on TNT network since there was little gore or swearing (if any) and no nudity. My hope for the series is that the twist doesn't take over the majority of the story line, kind of how I feel Vanessa's possession story line took over in Penny Dreadful. After really enjoying this episode I am sad that I will have to wait a week to find out more. This would be a fantastic show to binge watch once all the episodes have been released. All I can say is that I hope they stick to their promotional campaign and they #DontKillSeanBean.

Grade: A-

**Follow me on twitter @popculturedlife for celebrity autographs, TV/Movie/Music/Board Game reviews and much more**

No comments:

Post a Comment