Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Friday 26 June 2015

1st Annual TV Awards: Part 5

1st Annual TV Awards: Part 5

Best Comedy Series- Regular Networks


Nominees:

- The Big Bang Theory, CBS
Even though The Big Bang Theory has been on TV for many seasons now, they still find ways to keep the show fresh and funny. This season they dealt very well with loosing one of their own cast members (Mrs. Wolowitz) and made a great dedication to Leonard Niemoy (Spock) as well they closed off the season with one of the most shocking Big Bang moments ever.


- Cristela, ABC
Being the only newcomer in this category really says a lot about the level of comedy that was presented in season one. Cristela was witty and comedic without being over-the-top and being able to relate to some of the situations, always kept me laughing on Friday nights.


- The Goldbergs, ABC
While The Goldbergs deals with everything that you face growing up in your family, they take it up another level by adding the pop culture references and the retro and nostalgic feel for the viewers that either grew up or were influenced by 80s pop culture. 


- Modern Family, ABC
There are so many different characters and relationships going on in this series and that's what keeps it so fresh, funny and interesting. Plus it has one of the largest and best casts out there who not only can deliver the comedic lines but also physical comedy and facial expressions that can be just as funny as the script.


- Mom, CBS
Mom is able to take very serious situations and issues such as drug addiction, death and alcoholism and make them believable and more lighthearted by adding some much needed humor to the situations. If you took the comedy out of Mom, you would have one screwed up family with more serious drama than anybody could handle.



Winner: The Goldbergs, ABC

Even though I enjoy all of the nominated comedies, for me there isn't one more relatable than The Goldbergs. They talk about video games I've played, movies I've watched, music I've listened to and pop culture related events I've lived through. Everything about this show hits me right in the heart because I feel like they are writing about my life. 


Best Drama Series- Regular Networks


Nominees:

- Empire, FOX
As skeptical as I was before watching the premiere episode, I was instantly hooked when I watched it. It's got original music, a spectacular cast and drama coming out it's ears.


- Red Band Society, FOX
Unfortunately, it was very apparent that Red Band Society was going to have trouble right out of the gate. People judged the show on it's premise (sick children) without giving it a watch. There was so much heart in this series and the young actors that were cast were terrific. It was a like a modern day Breakfast Club, just with sick kids living at a hospital.


- Rookie Blue, ABC
I've been a fan of Rookie Blue right from day one and I think the fact that I love this show more than any other cop show is because all of the characters are younger. The story lines are half centered around their cop lives and half around their personal lives which makes this series a perfect blend. 


- Wayward Pines, FOX
This book trilogy has been adapted for TV into this 10 episode mini series. My favorite part of this series is all the questions it leaves you asking. Almost guaranteed that a show that leaves me asking questions, is a show that keeps me coming back for more.



Winner: Empire, FOX

No other show had a shot in this category after Empire premiered. All the original songs that are performed on this show are amazing and had me singing them for days. The risk of having the main star be such an unlikable character is such a gamble but for this series, it paid off big time. This show really brings the drama and left me longing for (the extended!) second season.

**Agree with my choices? Disagree? Tweet me @popculturedlife and let me know! Check back tomorrow for Best Comedy Series, Best Drama Series, Best Dramady Series and Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Series (For all non Big 4 Network series)**

Winners So Far:
Empire
Best Actress in Drama (Taraji P. Henson, Cookie Lyon)
Best Actor in Drama (Terrence Howard, Lucious Lyon)

Shameless
Best Actress in a Dramady (Emmy Rossum, Fiona Gallagher)
Best Actor in a Dramady (Cameron Monaghan, Ian Gallagher)

Game of Thrones
Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont, Game of Thrones)

The Goldbergs
Best Actor In Comedy (Sean Giambrone, Adam Goldberg)

Mom
Best Actress In Comedy (Allison Janney, Mom)

Orphan Black
Tatiana Maslany (Helena/Cosima/Sarah/Alison/Rachel, Orphan Black)

No comments:

Post a Comment