Blog Archive- Check Out Past Articles!

Tuesday 18 August 2015

Garage Sale Etiquette



We had our last garage sale of the year this past weekend and faced several common issues that got me thinking about writing this blog. I know I'm only writing this for the 5% of people out there but here's some Garage Sale Etiquette for you to remember:

1) Don't insult me (or my intelligence). It's astounding to me the amount of customers I get every garage sale that talk to me condescendingly. And surprisingly, it's always a woman. I'm a female in my mid-twenties and on a $10 item they will say "will you take $5?" and I will say "how about we meet in the middle and make it $7.50" and for some reason I get this response: "Sweetie, don't you want to check with your dad/husband?" or "Is there someone else in charge I can speak with?" Seriously, no. I don't need to check with a man (or anyone else) in order to make a deal on my OWN ITEM, yet these comments (said in many forms) always get said to me at every garage sale. Please note: After this comment is said, I will no longer change my deal offer or make a deal on anything else.

2) Let's negotiate. I fully realize that all my garage sale prices are not firm and I'm open to any reasonable offers. Reasonable, being the keyword. If I am selling a stereo cabinet in excellent condition and I have $45 each marked on them, I will not take $10 or $5 no matter how many times you ask.


3) Putting items on hold. We will gladly hold items for you if you find yourself short of cash and needing to hit a bank machine. However, if you do not return on that same day after you said you would, the item is being put out for sale the next day. We are not a store and don't have an unlimited amount of time to hold that item for you. 95% of people that say they will be back for an item we have on hold, never come back.

4) Smaller change please. I'm always prepared with enough weekend change but that doesn't mean that I will have the proper change to break a $100 bill for a $5 item. I'm more than willing to except toonies, loonies, quarter or dimes and nickels but $100 and $50 bills are beyond hard to come up with change for on a small dollar purchase.

5) Pick up the dogs. We always have people on walks with their dogs that stop by and foot traffic is great. What isn't great is when people bring large dogs inside the garage and don't watch them closely enough. It's so easy for them to jump onto the tables, knock things down or (my least favorite) when a dog goes to the bathroom in the middle of an aisle and the owner pretends they didn't notice (yes, this has happened). Please pick your dog up and if they are too big to pick up, then they are probably too big to be wondering around with breakables.

6) Same rules with children. I don't care how many children you bring into the garage sale, as long as they are well behaved. When someone comes in with 3+ children, doesn't pay any attention to them and they wreak havoc on everything, we are not impressed with the clean up we have to do and even less impressed when you refuse to take responsibility for items broken by said children.

7) Watch your comments. Although I know a lot of people just go into garage sales to browse and reminisce, please keep in mind that we do have ears and comments like "who would buy THAT?!", "I can't believe someone owns one of those!" or my personal favorite "that's too expensive" (typically said on a $5 item that's worth about $40) are heard by everyone. All of these items were previously loved and looking for new homes, so if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.

I want to thank all the people who show up at our garage sales that are pleasant and respectable. We love getting to know people (especially all the neighbours) and are just trying to make a few extra dollars and enjoy the weekend! 


**Got any garage sale etiquette tips? Tweet me @popculturedlife and let me know what your garage sale etiquette tips are and I will add them to the list!**

No comments:

Post a Comment